I’ve discussed many issues with CPS but the main one is how CPS investigations are initiated in the first place.
Its a bully tool, plain and simple. Pissed off at your neighbor, call CPS. Coworker take the promotion you want? Call CPS. Your daughter won’t let you take the grandkids? Call CPS. It happens everyday.
It’s happened to us.
We’ve had CPS called 8 times in nearly 18 years of parenting. 7 were in Kentucky.
1. In 2001 when the school program Alex was enrolled in made a call about a mark. It was discovered later (by CPS) that it was not a concern. They interviewed both Joe and Alex at their office. Sent a letter of dismissal. I will note here that after Alex was taken CPS was never called to our home. This is important to note because if the child case had evidence or even suspicion of abuses, especially sexual abuse, we would have been investigated as we had two children living with us. Not once was the welfare of Jacob and Quinten a concern. Joe lost his custody due to his inability to appear in court (you can read the story ) and to fight a court case thousands of miles away.
2. Our next CPS call happened just after we moved to KY. We were at the library and Isaac walked off as we were getting ready to leave. He walked out to see if we had left and the librarian called police. We left before they arrived and CPS showed up the next day, interrogating us. I made a call later that day to the cheif of police, county attorney and a few others to find out what crime I had committed. None could tell me. (I believe the librarian called after we left as Isaac was only “gone” for maybe 3-5 minutes as we walked through the small library and he got turned around. We lived there for 5 more months and never heard from them again.
3. Our next CPS call was a few years later. We had literally just moved into a new place that weekend. Tuesday night the hot water tank broke, we still had a house full of boxes. They got soaked. Wednesday morning the septic backed up. Thursday morning CPS showed up. Funny that. She inspected the home, told of the circumstances and came for a follow up the next week. On her first visit she asked if there was anyplace the children could stay while we unpacked. I laughed. This is their home. Give me a break. Her second and last visit was great. She was a nice lady and we all had a good conversation during dinner. We do not know who called but has suspected either the landlord or a lady from church. Why would you call CPS and not offer to help instead?! We lived there only anothe month. It was a horrible situation.
4. The next call was after Quintens finger incident. This call was made by my brother in law. State police showed up, looked at my sons finger, complimented on the job and told CPS they were not needed.
5. We had been living in a run down rent house. It had a few issues but it was liveable, according to the city codes anyhow. But we didn’t like living there, so we found another place to move. On the way back after putting deposit on the new place we were ambushed pulling into our drive way. A marked police car, an unmarked police car and a plain car pulled up behind us as we pulled into our driveway. CPS and law enforcement. They caught us off guard and were rather intimidating. We allowed them to see the home. CPS began talking about putting a plan in place and questioned me about my pregnancy (I was 41 weeks at the time) at this point I walked back to my front door to get them out and my husband approached me, as the cops were digging through our trash outside. Joe said they were not here with good intentions and asked everyone to leave. I did give the new address. So a month later CPS showed up at our new place. Joe told them they saw our children before and without a warrant thru wouldn’t be allowed to see them again. They left and our case was closed. I also suspect who called, again, someone who felt we didn’t live up to their expectations, but didn’t feel like actually helping. I was 41 weeks pregnant, Joe was working nights. It would have been nice has this person said hey, mind if I come visit and lend a hand? Please. Offer that first before you call CPS. We lived in the new home for a year and a half.
6. We didn’t see CPS again but we got a call the week we moved to the homestead. Joe spoke to the worker for about an hour. That was the end of it. We found out later it was some lady at church who was pissed off at us. We will call her Pissy Missy for now. That story will be told later.
7. 6 months later we saw CPS again. This time it was because Olivia went for a walk down the road. (Without permission) Some lady offered her a ride and Olivia got in. Wrong. Yes. Oh so wrong. Wrong for the lady to pick her up, wrong for Olivia to get in. But she dropped Olivia off to Jacob who had followed her. They came home and we had a talk. 30 minutes later the Sherrif was at my door. Long story short. (One day I will post the long story) he didn’t like that I wouldn’t let him in my home without a warrant and mr “I break the law when I see fit” Sherrif decided to push his way past me (again, 9 months pregnant) and made his way towards my cabin. I held my ground and recorded. My husband had arrived and since we demanded a warrant (one he never got) he called CPS. They came, talked to my children, and left. We lived here 18 months before we saw them again.
8. My husband went to a local aquatintence to get water. Not steal water. We had several sources and we never needed to steal. The lady who rents the home we got water from ( well owner was ok with it) got into an argument with my husband. She called CPS out of spite. Plain and simple. The Sherrif didn’t call, Sondra Johnston McEntee called. She admitted it in her FB message to me that day. My children were taken because I refused to comply. Which I didn’t. I was not under any obligation to do anything. I requested a warrant and lawyer. I requested a warrant and lawyer at 10am when I first spoke to CPS and again a few hours later at 8 pm when I was ambushed and my children were taken. My children were never in any danger except by the state who violated my rights, my husbands rights and our children’s rights.
I note the time frames because it’s been said we “flee” whenever CPS gets involved. It’s also been said there is a pattern of abuse when CPS is called so often. I agree. People use the system to bully. And it needs to be stopped.
I write this today because of this. A lady who has been otherwise supportive got her panties in a wad yesterday, she was eventually banned from our FB page. She then took to you tube to make threats:
Kenrda makes my point for me. If I don’t like you I will make sure CPS is sicked on you.
Opposing the abuse of the system, exposing the corruption, and not supporting innocent families from being ripped apart is a fine reason for Kendra to say ” your family needs to be ripped apart for thinking that way”
Every parent in the US has to look over their shoulder because of people like Kendra (and the people who have called on us). Got laundry piling up? House need some repairs? Kid get hurt? Don’t worry. CPS will be there.
In Ky Its called DCFS. They have a rule book to follow. SOP. But generally it’s up to the caseworker and judge and Gal what guidelines are enforced, and the law is vague personal opinion plays a big role. I’ve seen that with my own case and others. What may seem harmless to you is abuse or neglect to another. Think of how nasty mommy wars get. Now imagine some of those mommies have the power to take your kids. We need to hold people who make false CPS reports accountable. There needs to be probable cause. Families deserve due process. Children should never be interviewed without an attorney present.
This is an investigative report done on DCFS in Kentucky. Its quite upsetting, but important to read. If you aren’t from Kentucky, look into your own states practices.